- Years in Practice: 20 Years
- School: Columbia University
- Degree: Ph.D, Clinical Psychology
- Fellow: American Board of Psychoanalysis
- Certificate/ Post-doctoral: Institute for Psychoanalytic Education affiliated with the School of Medicine, NYU
Professional Memberships and Societies
- American Board of Psychoanalysis
- American Psychoanalytic Association - 1997-2017
- Psychoanalytic Association of New York
I received a Ph.D in Clinical Psychology from Columbia University and a post-doctoral certificate in psychoanalysis from the Institute for Psychoanalytic Education affiliated with the School of Medicine, NYU. I have been Board Certified in Psychoanalysis for over a decade.
I consult with individuals who are struggling with relationship problems, questions of identity, self-defeating patterns of behavior, difficulties with esteem, and health, financial, and workplace concerns, as well as with parents or couples and families seeking to address a range of parenting issues. I also have conducted group therapy for adolescents whose parents were involved in the process of separation or divorce.
Before starting my private practice, I completed a fellowship at the facility formerly known as Smithers (currently Mt. Sinai-St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital), working with adults with substance abuse and psychiatric disorders. I also served as a group and individual therapist at The Program for Managing Eating Disorders, taking care of individuals with a range of eating and other psychiatric disorders, and worked with adults and adolescents in inpatient and day hospital settings, in addition to assessing hundreds of adults and adolescents who were taking part in a comprehensive Family Health Study conducted at the New York State Psychiatric Institute.
People come to therapy for many different reasons. Some have concerns about identity or patterns of behavior; others struggle with relationships or self esteem. I work in long and shorter term frameworks with adults and adolescents who are looking for practical and focused solutions. I encourage my patients to think about what they might want to work on and what type of help they might be looking for before beginning treatment with me or someone else including:
- Do you find yourself fighting the same battles over and over with your spouse, children, friends, or family? Are you dissatisfied at work, school, or in your personal life?
- Have you ever vowed to "just do things better" or "differently?"
- You may be unwittingly repeating patterns and making ill-informed choices due to factors out of your conscious awareness - and insight oriented talk psychotherapy can help.
- Though treatment is individual and everyone's experience and progress varies, many have found that talk therapy has allowed them to understand their emotions, to free themselves from long standing self-defeating patterns, and to find a happier existence or move forward in life.
Over the years I have worked with people on issues relating to the following:
- Workplace and Financial Stressors
- Parenting, including issues relating to divorce and separation, bullying, adolescent self-esteem and identity
- Health Problems
- Self-Defeating patterns and behaviors
- Consultation, assessment
- Personality Disorders
- Adolescents / Teenagers (14 to 19)
Years of practice of analytic therapy and practical writing have allowed me to offer present-day, focused solutions and get to the long-standing root of a problem.
I offer individual therapy and analysis for those who may feel anxious, overwhelmed, or generally dissatisfied with current life circumstances. I have worked with people in the short term and on an ongoing basis. Sessions can be held weekly, twice weekly or more often, depending on the needs of the individual.
Types of Therapy
I am the author of Mad Men on the Couch and a co-editor of Money Talks. Both are studies of contemporary culture and relationships.
My writing has appeared in The Washingon Post, on WSJ.com, NPR.com, NBC.com and PsychologyToday.com. For a representative list of publications, articles, workshops, presentations, and media appearances please visit my website: newmantherapymanhattan.com
Avg Cost (per session):
Please call me to discuss my fee.
Accepted Payment Methods:
Cash or Check.
I do not participate directly in any panels or insurance plans.
35 East 85th Street, Office 3S, New York, NY 10028